Skidaway Farm’s 2018 Annual Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 13th at 5 pm at the Farm. The farm’s annual budget will be presented and voted on by the Board of Directors and nominations will be presented for board positions. Currently there are seven board members and three of those positions expire this year: Mike Welsh, Monica Hughes and Bob Rogers. Nominations will be accepted from the floor and farmers will vote for a new Board at the annual meeting. Please come and participate in this process. All farmers are encouraged to attend.
Farm Board Meeting Minutes May 2, 2018
Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, C Adler, M Hughes, J Tyson,
M Kahn, B Rogers, R Hinz
1) Festival setup details complete, work party for table/chair setup and flower arranging set for 10:00 Sunday morning. Monica will send blast to farmers.
2) Farm purchases, per Ralph: new waterproof controller box needed for electric fence controller. Also a tool for determining where the breech is in electric fence. This tool will streamline the process. Both purchases run around $100 each and Board approval received.
3) Blueberry bushes: has been noted that several farmers have blueberry bushes in their plots.. will monitor growth, placement and potential effect on surrounding plots.
4) Budget will be announced at next meeting which will be Annual Meeting. Current balances: Checking: $17,165 , Asset Replacement: $16,274
5) Tax return for farm filed per C Adler. Discussed keeping copies of payment checks for records. Login info for bank account given to M Welsh, J Kollmann, C Adler in addition to B Rogers
6) Overhead irrigation: noted that some farmers have dry areas in plots. Discussion notes that sprinkler heads were for turf irrigation and therefore not the ideal head for plots. Farmers need to monitor especially with new plantings.
7) Annual Meeting to be held 6/13 at 5:00 PM at the farm. Monica will send notice blast to farmers.
Motion to adjourn per J Kollmann, second per C Adler
Board Meeting Minutes April 4, 2018
Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, C Adler, B Rogers, M Hughes, R Hinz
Absent: J Tyson, M Kahn
1) Final Planning for Festival on 5/6
A) Tom Rosen reports menu is determined and work teams are assigned
B) table and chairs to b delivered 5/5 after Garden Tour
C) blast to be sent for setup work party the morning of 5/6
D) will determine supplies needed
2) Repeat Blast to remind farmers of work party on 4/7
3) Skidaway Farms to be on Green Thumb Garden Tour on 5/5 from 10- 3
4) The farm will not participate in the Rotary Festival this year. Mike will notify Rotary President.
5) Generous donation received from the Landings Garden Club for the Children’s Garden. Thank you to be sent and will send email updates to Club President.
Next Meeting: 5/2/18 @ 5pm @ the Farm.
Meeting adjourned, motion per JK second per MW
Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, C Adler, B Rogers, M Hughes, M Kahn, R Hinz
Absent: J Tyson
- Financial Report per B Rogers: plot renewals continue to be posted. Bob will gather information for the approval of the budget for our April Board meeting.
Checking Account: $12,681.71 , Asset Replacement Account: $16,269.48
2. Eight new farmers have signed on since the first of the year. Plans to enclose a few more plots with lumber discussed.
3. All irrigation controllers on raised beds reinstalled after frosty weather has passed. Several replaced and repairs done as needed. Discussion ensued about how to go forward with maintenance of the controllers on the raised beds, ie farmer responsible or Ralph to maintain for a fee. Cathy will draft a letter to all raised bed farmers to be sent after Board approval.
4. Spring Festival set for May 6, rain date: May 8. Joe and Tom will put together a group to take care of food as the Club will not be able to do this year. Will gather a group of volunteers to take care of desserts. Ticket prices will increase to cover food costs. Individual: $25, Couples: $50, Family: $65
5. Work party at the farm set for April 7, Monica will blast as time gets closer.
Next meeting: April 4, 5 PM @ the farm
Motion to adjourn JK, second, MW
Time to clear debris and amend the soil for spring planting. Last frost date is March 15th!
What to plant:
SEEDS: carrots, beets, arugula, lettuce, squash, cukes.
PLANTS: onions, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and when it’s warmer: basil and okra.
KEEP YOUR EYES OUT FOR PESTS THAT ARE SURE TO ARRIVE.
SAVE THE DATE
Best Food, Festivities and Friends will gather once again on Sunday, May 6th for the annual Skidaway Island Spring Festival! Make sure to put it on your calendar! More info will follow!
Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, M Hughes, M Kahn, B Rogers,
Absent: C Adler, J Tyson
1) Finance report per B Rogers, checking acct: $10,061.01, asset replacement acct.:
$16,269.48. Plot renewal funds continue to come in.
2) Weather station information presented per R Cunningham. Discussion per Board present, will wait with final decision when entire board present.
3) Lumber has been delivered for B plot enclosures as well as lumber for redesign of children’s individual gardens…total cost:$233.96.
4) Work party 2/3 for plot enclosure. Spring cleanup to be scheduled next meeting.
5) Spring Festival slated for 5/6, final okay to be verified with T Rosen. Tickets prices discussed, final decision to come when full Board present. Monica to post save the date for Festival after verification as well as an out of town notification to perspective farmers for the end of February.
6) Work party for spring cleanup to be scheduled in March.
7) Rotary Fun Date, 5/2. Discussion whether to participate. Final decision next meeting when complete Board present.
8) Available plot update: currently 20 available, though some need further solarization.
2 new farmers so far this year.
9) Irrigation update per R Hinz: one frozen overhead irrigation pipe repaired, may have to look into option that drains these pipes in sustained freezing weather to prevent further occurrences. Cost price will be researched.
Next meeting 3/7/18
Motion to adjourn per J Kollmann, second per M Welsh
The Landings has been designated as the first Audubon International Certified Sustainable Community in the State of Georgia!
Our farmers and farm helped make this happen!
Present: J. Kollmann, B. Rogers, C. Adler, J. Tyson, M. Hughes,
M. Kahn, R. Hinz, Absent: M. Welsh
1) Financial report per B.Rogers, $11,263.88 in checking account, $13,938.53 in asset replacement account.
Motion made per C.Adler to move $5,000 from checking account to asset replacement account. Second per J.Kollmann, unanimously approved by all.
2) Spring Festival: date set for May 6th, 2018. Joe will speak to T Rosen to verify with Club/Chefs that date is ok. Discussed increasing the ticket prices as it is a farm fundraiser. After February meeting Monica will send a “save the date” blast to all farmers for the Festival.
Skidaway Audubon is funding/donating weather stations throughout the Landings, including the farm. The statistics will be tracked through The Weather Underground.
Monica will purchase a soil temperature thermometer for the farm and will be mounted in the Pavilion for all farmers to use.
3) Board approved the Farms donation of $200 to be a hole sponsor at the upcoming Audubon Golf Tournament.
4) Board approved the purchase of lumber for rebuilding the individual plots of the Children’s Garden. A farmer has volunteered to assist with the construction.
5) Irrigation update per R.Hinz: irrigation controller seems to loose memory when irrigation is turned off and back on, will change the battery and monitor. The pump will remain off until Saturday when the weather is to moderate.
Electric fence update: west side of fence at starting left of main gate isn’t functioning properly, probable replacement of bottom wire will be necessary, will need to look into finding an Electrician for the work.
Deer Fence update: has been noted there are a number of warped, broken boards in Fence that will need to be addressed. The Board will do a walk around at the farm to determine repair needs.
6) Board approved purchase of lumber to enclose 2 plots in section B to improve the “curb appeal” as folks enter the farm. C. Adler will check with her contact at Guerry Lumber to obtain a discounted price for lumber supplies for both this project and the Children’s Garden project. Work party will gather on 2/3 to install lumber surrounding the two plots to ready for rental.
Next meeting Feb.1, 5pm at Club Offices
Motion to adjourn per J. Kollmann, second per C. Adler
This November was the fourth year the first graders from St. Andrew’s School on Whitemarsh Island toured the Farm to gather information to bring back to their own gardening projects at school. The children garden in raised beds at school, a part of the curriculum. Nice! Future Gardeners.
A big thank you to Jane Kollman and Carol Stiles for all the work they do at the garden with the children’s programs. They are helping to establish in many a lifelong love of gardening!